According to several local news sources, on January 30 a local mom was breastfeeding her baby on a bench in the Smithsonian Hirshhorn art musuem. A security guard told her she shouldn't do that, and should go to the restroom. However there were no benches in the restroom, only toilets. So she returned to her bench. The guard returned with another guard and told her if she wanted to feed her baby she should do it on a toilet (eww). At this point she decided to leave, not knowing that federal law allows her to breastfeed her baby on any federal property where she and her baby are otherwise permitted. She told her friends about it, and now a bunch of mad mommies are going to have a "nurse-in" at the museum this Saturday in order to educate people about their right to breastfeed in public. The museum has issued an apology and has said that its security guards have been retrained in this matter. I can only hope that the security guards that started this kerfuffle will be assigned to work this Saturday in order to complete their "retraining."
I can't help being amused that this incident happened in an art museum. An art museum! Which would not bat an eye at a painting or sculpture of a nude woman. The irony just kills me.
I'm a big supporter of breastfeeding, and I don't understand why some people are so disgusted by it. Whether you believe that we were created by God or by evolution, breastfeeding mothers are only doing what they were designed to do. What's the problem? And they (offended people) don't get off the hook by saying they don't want to see that. Not unless they are equally offended by women who wear shirts or dresses that that are low-cut enough to show off ample cleavage. Have I missed a national outcry for Katie Perry or Heidi Montag to cover up? I didn't think so.
Babies need to eat. Mothers need to feed them. Breastfeeding happens. Get over it.
1 comment:
The only logical reason that I can think of for not breastfeeding in an art museum falls under the clause where they prohibit any sort of food/snacking in the area. Art museums are particularly careful about foodstuffs since any sort of food can attract bugs which may then eat some of the artwork. If the guards had been thinking, 'hey, nobody can eat here - infants included', then I can maybe understand.
But asking her to feed while sitting on a toliet is still nasty.
Post a Comment