I had an interesting experience at what we call the "bread store" the other day. This store would be more accurately called the "day-old bread store," and we sometimes go there to get bread cheaply (we freeze it to keep it from getting moldy before we can eat it all). Although the bread is cheaper than the near-by Costco, I don't really like to go there since it's another stop on our errand list, they don't accept credit cards, and the service is slow. So slow, sometimes, that I have to go to their back room and shout for someone to come out and man the register so I can leave before my kids knock something over. I'm guessing they're not worried about people stealing bread and Twinkies that are about to expire (do Twinkies even have an expiration date?).
Anyway, back to my story. I first took the cashier to be an older man. Mainly it was the scraggly-looking goatee that was my clue. You know the one. The kind older adolescent boys wear when they can't grow the real thing yet. However, I quickly realized I was looking at what Curtis calls "an old lady beard." I quickly got the usual questions from her: "All boys?" (yes) "Are they all yours?" (Yes) "Are you going to try for a girl?" (No) Then she strayed into territory that I've never heard before. "Do you eat a lot of fish?" (No, my kids won't eat fish.) She followed up with, "Does your husband eat a lot of fish?" Wondering what that had to do with anything, I responded in the negative. Her next comment was, "Your husband must have a lot of testosterone to have so many boys!" This comment was greeted by a blank stare from me as I tried to decide if a biology lesson would be the appropriate response ("no, testosterone really has nothing to do with the gender of the baby...."). I decided that a correction of her thinking would be too arduous and so made some noncommittal response, paid for my bread and then left.
I can't decide if I'm offended at her comments or amused at her ignorance.
No comments:
Post a Comment