Okay, I love a sale. Especially a going-out-of-business sale. Not only can you get the merchandise deeply discounted, but you can buy the store fixtures, such as shelves and tables. Curtis bought some heavy duty metal shelves not that long ago from a store that was closing, and that finally gave us a place to store all of the various tools we have acquired while owning a home. It was a "wow, we can see the floor" moment. Who knew our basement had that much floor space? Before the shelves, you had to tiptoe through the tools and other random stuff to cross the basement.
This week I went to check out a Bloomingdale's that was closing in Rockville. Most things were 40-60% off. That would normally be great, except that Bloomingdale's is freakin' expensive to start with. I'm not much of a department store shopper, so I did not know what the prices were to begin with. I started by looking for some shirts for Curtis. However, if you take 40% off a shirt that's $150, that's still a heck of a lot.
I was striking out in the clothing department. Time to try housewares. "Okay," I said, "the rugs are labeled as 80% off. They're practically giving them away. We could use a new rug in the living room." I thought I was sure to find something great. I found one I kind of liked, turned over the price tag, and almost collapsed onto the pile of rugs in front of me (which I'm sure were very comfy). $31,136! For that kind of price it had better fly.
Eighty percent off of that is still a fortune (around $6,000). Curtis said we could probably carpet all the floors in the house and maybe some walls too for that discounted price.
Needless to say, I bought nothing that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment