We had a pretty quiet Thanksgiving this year. My parents came up to visit, and they stayed until Peter started getting really grouchy. The meal managed to be reasonably good and we all stuffed ourselves to one degree or another. Well, the adults all stuffed themselves. The kids took maybe two bites each and then declared they were full and left their table.
The problem with them is they just don't like the traditional food served at Thanksgiving. They don't like potatoes (neither sweet nor regular), gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, jell-o, salad (except for Michael), or pie. Basically, that just leaves the turkey, and Isaac won't eat meat. I also made a cranberry-walnut bread which they wouldn't eat, of course. Knowing they don't like most of the food at Thanksgiving I made some maple-glazed baby carrots. They like carrots, and they like maple syrup, so I thought it might be acceptable. Both Jesse and Michael ate and liked them. Isaac ignored them and Peter threw them on the floor. Success, sort of.
Roasting meat and making gravy is something I only do once or twice a year, so I checked Thanksgiving 101 by Rick Rogers out from the library for the third year in a row. I should just go buy it.....but I only need it once a year. He walks you through how to roast a turkey and keep the breast meat moist, make super yummy super dark gravy (the first time I made it Curtis asked, "This is turkey gravy?"), and make a great-tasting flaky pie crust. His dinner rolls are good, as well as his maple-glazed carrots. I've made a couple other recipes from his book and I haven't found a bad one yet. While none of the recipes I've tried are bad, there are some that are just "okay" as opposed to "fantastic." But who out there has a recipe book where they love every single recipe?
No comments:
Post a Comment