Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hey, bird! I have a nest for you!



While I was gardening yesterday Michael was entertaining himself by throwing a large rock into our yew bush and seeing where it would come out.  Remember that Plinko game on the Price is Right*?  Well, same idea, but with rocks and branches.  In the course of this only-boys-would-think-of-it game, the rock got stuck.  When Michael reached in to get it, he found a little bird nest.  Abandoned, of course.  Frankly I'm a little surprised it was there at all.  Michael and Isaac are always playing in that bush, and I can't imagine a bird enjoying such noisy neighbors.

A little later there was a wood thrush in the yard turning over leaves looking for food.  When Michael saw the bird, he yelled, "Hey, bird!  I have a nest for you!" and ran toward the bird with the nest.  Unsurprisingly, the bird declined Michael's well-meant invitation and flew away.  I tried to explain to Michael that birds need nests in the springtime, not in the fall.  But Michael obviously did not understand since, when the bird came back, Michael repeated his offer, again in a loud voice while running towards the bird.  At this point it must have decided to look elsewhere for food because it did not come back.  Can't imagine why.



*The contestant would let go of a Plinko chip at the top of the board and it would move down through a field of pegs which would cause the chip to randomly change direction and land in a random slot at the bottom of the board.  Looks like this:

No comments: